Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Workers’ Compensation Attorney Serving Northern Nevada

Serving Reno, Sparks, Carson City, and Surrounding Areas

If you’re injured on the job, you need a lawyer who knows how to navigate workers’ compensation cases to get the financial compensation you deserve. When you need a workers’ compensation lawyer, contact the Law Firm of Herb Santos, Jr., for professional and reliable services. We serve Reno, NV; Sparks, NV; Carson City, NV; and surrounding areas.

I receive a lot of questions regarding workers’ compensation in Nevada. The following are several rules which every Claimant should have some understanding. Also, the forms shown on this page are important forms which you should be aware of. The C-1, Notice of Injury, the C-4 , Notice of Claim and the Wage Calculation Sheet. If you are hurt on the job, give me a call to go over these rules and forms to see how they apply in your particular case.

Notice of Injury or Occupational Disease (Incident Report Form C-1): If an injury or occupational disease (OD) arises out of and in the course of employment, you must provide written notice to your employer as soon as practicable, but no later than 7 days after the accident or OD. Your employer should maintain a sufficient supply of the required forms.

Claim for Compensation (Form C-4): If medical treatment is sought, the form C-4 is available at the place of initial treatment. A completed “Claim for Compensation” (Form C-4) must be filed within 90 days after an accident or OD. The treating physician or chiropractor must, within 3 working days after treatment, complete and mail to the employer, the employer’s insurer and third-party administrator, the Claim for Compensation.

Medical Treatment: If you require medical treatment for your on-the-job injury or OD, you may be required to select a physician or chiropractor from a list provided by your workers’ compensation insurer, if it has contracted with an Organization for Managed Care (MCO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) or providers of health care. If your employer has not entered into a contract with an MCO or PPO, you may select a physician or chiropractor from the Panel of Physicians and Chiropractors. Any medical costs related to your industrial injury or OD will be paid by your insurer.

Temporary Total Disability (TTD): If your doctor has certified that you are unable to work for a period of at least 5 consecutive days, or 5 cumulative days in a 20-day period, or places restrictions on you that your employer does not accommodate, you may be entitled to TTD compensation.

Temporary Partial Disability (TPD): If the wage you receive upon re-employment is less than the compensation for TTD to which you are entitled, the insurer may be required to pay you TPD compensation to make up the difference. TPD can only be paid for a maximum of 24 months.

Wage Determination: Items included in the average monthly wage are found in NAC 616C.423. The calculation of your average monthly wage includes the following: wages or salary; commissions which are prorated over the period used to calculate the AMW; incentive pay; payment for sick leave; bonuses which are prorated over the period used to calculate the average monthly wage; termination pay; tips which are collected and disbursed by the employer and are not paid at the discretion of the customer; tips you report pursuant to NRS 616B.227; payment for piecework, tool allowance, vacation, holidays, overtime, and travel time; and value of room and/or board. Concurrent employment with another employer may also be included. Items which cannot be included are: employment not subject to coverage under NRS 616A to 616D, inclusive or chapter 617 of NRS, or elective employment which has not been elected; reimbursement for job related expenses, including per diem and travel, and allowances for laundry or uniforms. In certain instances, wages are determined by statute. Compensation will be based on that wage. If your average monthly wage exceeds the State Average Monthly Wage, compensation will be based on the State Average Monthly Wage.

Calculation of the average monthly wage. A wage history of a period of 12 weeks must be used to calculate the average monthly wage. If a 12-week period is not representative of your average monthly wage, the following methods are to be used. A period of one year, or the full period of employment if less than one year, may be used. It must be used if the average monthly wage would be increased; or pursuant to NAC 616C.435(3), if employee is a member of a labor organization and regularly employed by referrals from that office, wages from all employers for one year must be used if the average monthly wage would be increased. If employed less than 12 weeks, but for a period not less than four weeks, wages are averaged for the available period; or earnings based on piecework or a period of less than four weeks must be based on the rate of pay and projected working schedule, or on an average equal to other employees doing the same work. The period used to calculate the AMW must consist of consecutive days immediately preceding your accident. Each day must be counted, with the following exceptions: A certified illness or disability; institutionalized in a hospital, or other; enrollment as a full-time student and not employed on days of attendance; military service other than weekend duty; an officially sanctioned strike; or absence due to approved leave pursuant to the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. Concurrent wages for employment by two or more employers may also apply. NAC 616C.447 provides that the insurer shall advise an injured employee in writing of his eligibility for compensation for concurrent employment at time of the initial payment of compensation.

Permanent Partial Disability (PPD): When your medical condition is stable and there is an indication of a PPD as a result of your injury or OD, within 30 days, your insurer must arrange for an evaluation by a rating physician or chiropractor to determine the degree of your PPD. The amount of your PPD award depends on the date of injury, the results of the PPD evaluation and your age and wage.

Permanent Total Disability (PTD): If you are medically certified by a treating physician or chiropractor as permanently and totally disabled and have been granted PTD status by your insurer, you are entitled to receive monthly benefits not to exceed 66 2/3% of your average monthly wage. The amount of your PTD payment is subject to reduction if you previously received a PPD award.

Transportation and Per Diem Reimbursement: You may be eligible for travel expenses and per diem associated with medical treatment. You must file your request on a D-26 within sixty (60) days of incurring the expense. If it is submitted to the Insurer more than sixty (60) days after the expense was incurred, the Insurer can deny it.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services: You may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services if you are unable to return to the job due to a permanent physical impairment or permanent restrictions as a result of your injury or OD. These services include, but are not limited to, on the job training, educational courses and help with job search. In some situations, a buy-out may be negotiated.

Reopening: You may be able to re-open your claim if your accepted industrial condition worsens and there is a treatment plan proposed by the doctor. The rules for reopening are found in NRS 616C.390.

Appeal Process: If you disagree with a written determination issued by the insurer or the insurer does not respond to your request, you may appeal to the Department of Administration, Hearing Officer, by following the instructions contained in your determination letter. You must appeal the determination within 70 days from the date of the determination letter or the date of your unanswered letter at 1050 E. William Street, Suite 400, Carson City, Nevada 89701, or 2200 S. Rancho Drive, Suite 210, Las Vegas, Nevada 89102.

If you disagree with the Hearing Officer decision, you may appeal to the Department of Administration, Appeals Officer. You must file your appeal within 30 days from the date of the Hearing Officer decision letter at 1050 E. William Street, Suite 450, Carson City, Nevada 89701, or 2200 S. Rancho Drive, Suite 220, Las Vegas, Nevada 89102.

If you disagree with a decision of an Appeals Officer, you may file a petition for judicial review with the District Court. You must do so within 30 days of the Appeal Officer’s decision.

Why Hire a Workers’ Compensation Attorney?

Keep in mind, not every single injury at work requires the help of a lawyer. If your accident was small and your case is straightforward, you can probably get through the process on your own. However, most cases can benefit greatly from the help of a competent workers’ compensation attorney.

If you ever need to negotiate with the insurance company, having a lawyer will greatly help you. Our professional team knows how to negotiate a disputed claim and can handle insurance companies. We can also gather evidence to challenge the company.

Other good times to contact us for workers’ compensation legal services include:

  • When your claim is denied
  • When you have a preexisting condition
  • When your ability to work is affected
  • When you can’t get the treatment you need to heal

All of these situations require legal knowledge and strategy, and the Law Firm of Herb Santos, Jr., is here to help. Even if you simply need help with the numerous forms and documents, such as the notice of injury or occupational disease or the claim for compensation, we’re happy to help make sure everything is filled out properly.

Why Choose Our Team?

Mr. Santos has represented injured workers in Nevada for over 28 years, so we have the experience needed to handle any kind of workers’ compensation case that comes our way. We always have a one-on-one approach so that you get personalized services for your needs, and you get the best workers’ compensation attorney services around. Finally, Mr. Santos is a NJA board certified workers’ compensation specialist, a distinguishment which few attorneys have attained. Always ask whether the attorney who will work on your case is board certified and confirm the designation with the State Bar of Nevada: https://www.nvbar.org/member-services-3895/membership-information/attorney-specialization/certified-specialists/

Contact us today at 775-323-5200 for a free consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn